New Horizons works to increase knowledge of substance abuse prevention, communication, anger management, and decision making skills through activities focused on:
- The dangers of alcohol and other drugs
- Personal responsibility
- Effective communication practices
- Understanding healthy v. unhealthy relationships
- Developing effective coping skills
- Positive self-esteem
- Establishing positive decision making skills
- Anger Management skills
As a State of Florida recognized "Best-Practice", this 16-session curriculum addresses the social problems that may interfere with youth's successful transition through adolescence into young adulthood.
Students meet with a Health and Wellness Specialist once a week during an elective or special area class.
Participation is voluntary and free for all students.
The New Horizons program is currently being offered to students in the following school districts:
- Leon County School District | K - 12 Public & Charter Schools
- Madison County School District | Madison County Central School
- Wakulla County School District | Riversprings Middle School, Wakulla High School, Wakulla Institute
What should I bring to my first appointment?
- Parent/Guardian Permission Letter (available for download below)